Saturday, February 04, 2006

Erik's story poem

Ok, so I know Gabe's read this... but it's probably been awhile... Robyn probably has too... but I immediately thought of this poem when I read the 'rules'

To An Athlete Dying Young - A. E. Housman

My version -

Where have you gone -

Years ago you knew where to go
Life was full of promise and possibilities
All it takes is a step in a different direction though
Now life's all about the small victories

You saw yourself making loads of money
Finished college with a great degree
You would have married your college honey
And despite success the best things came free

Instead you decided college wasn't for you
You thought working and living was a noble goal
Now it's college you wish you could drag your self to
You do your work but you always feel like you're in the hole

Maybe someday you'll finally go back
You'll learn different things and meet a sweetheart
All these years after taking so much flack
You'll learn again- the best things in life were always the free part.

3 comments:

Erik said...

Sorry if it's a little rough... (or if it's not story enough for you, Giles... I really wanted to do this poem and I thought it was more story like)

I really wanted to post something and I've been busier than usual.... So I kinda rushed through it.

Giles Hash said...

It's great :-)

Gabe Thexton said...

You have no idea how much I love that you used THAT poem.