Friday, September 09, 2011

Welcome back... Take it easy!

Welcome Back!


It's good to be back.  It's good to be here.  It's fun to be here!  I'm excited!


I think Quill and Think was a great thing for a short lived time.  It had a purpose and it served it very well very briefly.  I still look back on it fondly, and didn't honestly expect the response I got when I brought it up... which was a nearly unanimous vote to bring it back in some fashion or another.  


I was just random browsing, noticed via Google analytics that Steve had linked me from his blog.  So I perused his blog and then clicked on his profile... which led me back here, where I read every post and comment.  


I don't think any of us need a regular 'assignment' to grow our talent and challenge ourselves anymore.  Not saying there's no growing to be done, and no challenges to tackle, for enjoyment or said growth.  I do think our weekly timelines and trying to come up with homework was putting too much pressure on ourselves though.  


Even if I'm wrong, I think that it may have been what we needed then and isn't now?


What do we need now?


Well, mostly I think we just want to hang out together a bit more, am I write... er right?


I think there's all sorts of things that we can do with this blog to bring it back for a short tour or for a longer stay.

Talk about writing in general - I know some of us already blog about the subject... but some community discussion could be a nice change of pace sometimes.


Write anything that hits your fancy.  Gabe... I miss your poems, man.  Seriously.  


Maybe even the occasional assignment, only this time without rigid deadlines, and pressure to get things done by a certain time AND come up with future projects.

In the end... none of us is expecting this blog to change our lives or anything... but we can have some fun.

In the interest of getting things started, I think a small easy project (again... no pressure, no deadline!) could be in order. 


We've all made strides as writers since 2006, I can say with some confidence.  How do you feel about writing in general now?  How do you think your views on it have changed?


I'll lead off with the first post later tonight.


In the meantime... I just snagged some fun quotes about writing.  Have fun!


A word is a bud attempting to become a twig. How can one not dream while writing? It is the pen which dreams. The blank page gives the right to dream.
Gaston Bachelard

The pen is the tongue of the mind.
Miguel de Cervantes


I don't pretend we have all the answers. But the questions are  certainly worth thinking about.
Arthur C. Clarke

It is not a bad idea to get in the habit of writing down one's thoughts. It saves one having to bother anyone else with them.
Isabel Colegate

Many books require no thought from those who read them, and for a very simple reason; they made no such demand upon those who wrote them.
Charles Caleb Colton

A writer doesn't solve problems. He allows them to emerge.
Friedrich Dürrenmatt

In my experience, the best creative work is never done when  one is unhappy.
Albert Einstein
 
Curiosity has its own reason for existence. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Albert Einstein 

3 comments:

Gabe Thexton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabe Thexton said...

I was waiting for someone to take it and run :-)
poems impending...

Gabe Thexton said...

I very much agree with Erik here. I feel like Q&T can be much more organic now. I want people to contribute in their own manner and at their own pace. It can be much more open-ended this way. I look forward to what each of you has to offer, and I hope you will feel free to invite others to join us.