Thursday, January 19, 2006

My answer to this week's assignment

Ok, so a few months ago, this movie about two famous brothers who wrote stories about the adventures they had in Europe inspired me to write. This is what I came up with....or to be more acurate, what I've polished it into. I want to do something with this eventually, but it may be a while.

-------------------------

An early night, I guess. Sun's just barely setting, but I think I'll turn in. How did I get here anyway? Oh! That's right; it all started six years ago, on a warm, starlit night.

She sat with her back to me; the lanterns grew dim as the fuel ran low. The innkeeper hollered out, "Time to go, the lights are low, now get out, or I'll kill you!"

He sang that every night, I taught it to him, learned it in my traveling days. He thought it was funny, so did I. Where was I....oh yeah, the girl. As the tavern patrons made their way home, she just sat still, head bowed, her beautiful red hair concealing a sad smile. "It's time to leave," I said. "Rooms are all full, and I know you're not renting a single one."

A tear dropped onto her table.

"That's not going to get you a room-"

"You knew my father, didn't you?" She looked directly into my eyes, I nearly fell over.

Yeah, I'd known her father. We were bounty hunters together, but that was another life, I didn't even fight anymore, and I said as much.

"Please help me," she smiled.

I had to choke back tears; her green eyes glistened in the fading light. "I can't help anyone any more." I turned to go to my room, but she placed her hand gently on my arm.

"I don't need much. Please, for my father."

I motioned for the innkeeper to bring us another pitcher of ale. I told him I would close up when we were done. I sat across from her and looked in those pretty green eyes. "Tell me what you need."

She reached up her hand and placed it on my cheek. She leaned over the table and kissed me. Not as a lover, more like....a...sister! My heart nearly stopped in my chest. I'd never experienced this kind of tenderness from someone before. "Just give me a place to stay."

What can I say? You'd like to think I would do the right thing. Did I? Many people would say I did, but I’m not sure I would agree. I took her back to my room, gave her my bed and curled up on the floor for the night. In the night, I heard screams, both of pain and of sorrow. Soon, I heard a sound that chilled me to the marrow: the cry of a banshee!

The light of the moon faded, and the windows flew open. A raging wind swept through the room. The girl sat up in bed. “What have you done?” I asked. I knew the banshee cried not for me: I’m immortal.

“The lord of the manor desires my company,” she smiled calmly.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. They say that when the lord searches you out, you never return, and I’d just pledged my aid to one of his victims. Sure, I only gave her a room, but I couldn’t let her turn into the walking dead now, could I? After all, I had known her father, and I owed him my life!

“You are of no consequence to me!” I heard a bone-chilling voice outside the window. “Leave the girl for me, and I will let you live.”

“Like hell!” I screamed, drawing my sword.

The banshee matched my scream and swooped through the window. “You will soon know the cold hand of death!”

I grinned; the demon flew toward me, taking an ethereal form. A white flash filled the room and the banshee froze. A great gash spread from her left hip to her right shoulder.

3 comments:

Todd Newton said...

Oooo I love it. Maybe for next week we should do a "chain story" where each of us writes a consecutive part... or a part from a different POV.

Erik said...

Wow... I can't remember specifics of the first time you posted part of that... but it truly does seem more polished. Great job.

Anonymous said...

great excerpt attention grabber